Tax Help with VITA
What we do
VITA helps you get the best refund possible. Volunteers will prepare your return, taking the stress out of filing. Tax preparation appointments are available January through April.
Our volunteers can help prepare your taxes your if:
- Your income meets the eligibility requirements
- You live in Franklin County, Hampshire County, or the North Quabbin area.
- Our volunteers are trained on your tax situation
See the section below for full eligibility information!
If you have a complicated tax situation, our volunteers may not have the training needed to prepare your taxes.
We host tax clinics in Greenfield on Mondays and Tuesdays, in Northampton on Wednesday and Thursdays, and in Orange on Saturdays. There are evening and daytime appointments available.
Making an appointment
You can make an appointment by calling us at 413-376-1136 or click here to schedule online
CONTACT INFO FOR THE PROGRAM
413-376-1136 (schedule a tax appointment)
393 Main St, Greenfield, 4th Floor
155 Pleasant St, Northampton
119 New Athol Rd, Orange, Suite 150
You must live in Hampshire county, Franklin county, or the North Quabbin towns of Athol, Petersham, Royalston, and Phillipston.
Your income must be at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level:
- One person, $33,975
- Two people, $45,775
- Three people, $57,575
- Four people, $69,375
- Five or more, $81,175
Our program is staffed by IRS certified volunteer tax preparers. There are some types of taxes that we are not certified to complete. If you know that your return includes any of the following, we unfortunately won’t be able to help:
- Rental income
- Sale of stocks or other investment property
- Capital gains or losses
- Business expenses such as a home office, equipment depreciation, inventory or payroll (mileage, supplies, insurance, etc. are ok)
- Business expenses in excess of $35,000 or that result in a loss (expenses exceed gross receipts)
- Cancellation of debt including bankruptcy, foreclosure, settlement of credit card debt for less than the whole balance
- Military income or benefits
- Out-of-state income (if you earned income while living or working in another state)
- Current address outside of our service area (Hampshire County, Franklin County or the North Quabbin area)
Volunteer with VITA
Why we need your help
VITA stands for Volunteer Income Tax Assistance, and that means we can’t do this without you! Every year, our program helps hundreds of people file their tax return, and send over $1 million back into the community in the form of refunds. Every preparer at our sites is a volunteer.
You don’t need any prior tax experience to be a VITA volunteer. All volunteers receive thorough training in a group setting. Volunteers are required to take certification tests through the IRS, but we will support you every step of the way.
Our tax clinics run 4 days a week, January-April. We ask volunteers to schedule at least one shift per week. We will be holding clinics in Greenfield, Northampton, Orange, and Ware in 2024.