top of page

All of our tax appointments have been filled.

If you need to contact our staff about your tax return, please call 413-376-1136

Schedule an Appointment
Learn about VITA

What is the VITA Free Tax Assistance Program?

VITA helps taxpayers with lower income maximize their tax refund and reduce their taxes due. Taxes are prepared by IRS-certified volunteers, and then filed electronically. VITA services are offered from February through April. 

Why should I file my taxes with VITA?


Our IRS-certified volunteers are trained to help you take advantage of all the credits you qualify for! Filing with us is easy, accurate, and best of all - free!

How long will it take for me to get my refund?

Most taxpayers can expect their money within 5-10 days of filing if they choose to receive funds by direct deposit. Consider saving a portion of your tax refund to have have on hand for the next time life happens!

How do I know if I'm eligible for VITA?

Eligibility is based on three factors:

   1. Your town of residence (must be within service area for Community Action)

   2. Your annual income (AGI must be below certain limits)

   3. Your tax situation (some income sources are outside our scope)


Look below to find out if you meet all three eligibility requirements. If so, return to the top of the page to schedule your free tax appointment today!

Still Curious? Watch this video to learn more about VITA: 


Volunteer With VITA!

Join our team and become a Volunteer Tax Preparer. Volunteering is rewarding and impactful; you can make a difference in your community.


Determine My Eligibility

1. Town of Residence
This program is available for residents of Franklin County, Hampshire County and the North Quabbin towns of Athol, Petersham, Royalston, and Phillipston.  

2. Annual Income (must be below amounts listed)
One person, $33,975

Two people, $45,775

Three people, $57,575

Four people, $69,375

Five or more, $81,175


3. Tax Situation

Our program is staffed by IRS certified volunteer tax preparers.  There are some types of taxes that we are not certified to complete.  If you know that your return includes any of the following, we unfortunately won't be able to help: 


  • Rental income 

  • Sale of stocks or other investment property  

  • Capital gains or losses 

  • Royalties 

  • Business expenses such as a home office, equipment depreciation, inventory or payroll (mileage, supplies, insurance, etc. are ok) 

  • Business expenses in excess of $35,000 or that result in a loss (expenses exceed gross receipts)  

  • Cancellation of debt including bankruptcy, foreclosure, settlement of credit card debt for less than the whole balance 

  • Military income or benefits  

  • Out-of-state income (if you earned income while living or working in another state) 

  • Current address outside of our service area (Hampshire County, Franklin County or the North Quabbin area) 

Your civil rights are protected

bottom of page